Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Through the Jewish Quarter








We went to 6 different synagogues today. The director of our program, Kim (see above), gave us a tour because shes got a masters in Jewish studies and knows everything and is a real cool lady. We weren't allowed to take pictures in ANY of them. There were signs up at every doorway. I don't do rules very well, so here are a few of the photos I could sneak before one or more of the grouchy old ladies who volunteer as "guards" came toddling over yelling at me in Czech. I got yelled at by 3 different crickety old ladies and Kim had to come save me from one who was extra feisty. It was a fun game.

Besides hiding from said "guards," I also learned a lot. These synagogues were absolutely beautiful. The graveyard we went to today was even more moving/shocking (I cant think of an adequate word) than the one before- 100,000 Jews are buried there, stacked 12 rows deep, in an area no bigger than my backyard. Thats why the gravestones are shoved together and stacked on top of each other. I am continually reminded (of Communism, Holocaust, pretty much the entire history of the Czech lands) and continually find myself thinking, again, "Why? For what?" Big countries are bullies. Jeeze.

No comments: